NPA admits raiding Surigao mayor's house

The communist New People's Army on Monday claimed responsibility for last weekend's attack on the house of Surigao del Norte mayor Teodoro Sinaca Jr.

Radio dzXL reported Monday evening that National Democratic Front Mindanao spokesman Jorge "Ka Oris" Madlos said NPA Pulang Diwata Command units were behind the attack.

Madlos said Sinaca was a follower of Surigao del Norte Rep. Guillermo Romarate Jr., who he said had been linked to illegal activities in the province. He said the NPA wanted to dismantle the private army of Romarate who he said was at the house of Mayor Sinaca at the time.

The NDF's Northeastern Mindanao Region issued a similar statement through spokeswoman Maria Malaya, on the Communist Party of the Philippines Web site.

NPAs engaged the supposed private army in a 45-minute encounter at about 12:30 a.m. last Saturday. Police recovered from the scene of the encounter ammunition from an M-16 rifle.

Injured in the encounter were Juncer Palen, Rodulfo Esmaquil, Crispiniano Senaca, and Reneboy Pededa. Hot pursuit operations are still ongoing against the rebels.

On Monday, Sinaca claimed returning streetlights saved his and his family’s life from the attack of at least 50 armed men over the weekend.

At least five people were injured when armed men fired their guns at Sinaca’s house for more than an hour Saturday. — KBK, GMANews.TV

Surigao Today

All articles/photos on this website are for general information only. Surigaotoday.com does not own any responsibility for the correctness or authenticity of the information in the articles. We take no responsibility for loss, inconvenience or injury resulting from this information.